Introducing Essential Oils for Detoxification, Nourishment & Stress
Ayurvedic and Yogic Traditions understand that the factors impacting the environment in Summer provide optimal conditions for cleansing. The Sun, so close to the Earth, creates an organic sensation in the body to expand into new and greater potential for health and well-being and release that which is not serving this expansion. The body intrinsically knows that the warmth of Summer means bountiful, fresh food supplies and craves lighter, cooling foods like steamed vegetables and salads. Longer days mean more time outdoors and an abundance of fresh air. Add medicinal essences to the mix and you have a perfect combination for cleansing, detoxifying and healing. It is absolutely possible to reinvent and revive one’s state of health and fortunately there are many oils that support doing just that…
Another major overload people face today is the high level of toxicity in the environment and inside the human body. Toxins interfere with the normal functions of organs and make the process of healing hard or even impossible.
There are two main underlying causes for all illnesses in the world: toxicity and deficiency.
People inevitably develop stress if they do not follow their dreams. For those who do not know how to manage it, (or who refuse to make the necessary changes to alleviate it – AG) stress can become the third cause of disease.
Our bodies are dedicated to our survival, not our death. By addressing the key components that negatively affect the body’s ability to heal itself – toxicity, deficiency and stress – we can look to the Plant Kingdom for essences that detoxify, nourish and reduce stress.
Essential Oils for Detoxification
- Patchouli (heavy metals)
- Red Pine (emotional toxicity)
- Santolina (kidneys, gall bladder, liver)
- Ginger Lily (liver)
- Black Pepper
- Juniper Berry
- Laurel Leaf
- Peppermint (liver, intestines)
- Balsam gurjun
- Calamus (liver)
- Sweet Basil (liver)
Essential Oils for Nourishment (Physical)
- Black Cumin (nigella sativa): We use this as a general tonic. I personally take about 30 drops a day, and can REALLY tell if I forget to take it. Black Cumin is wonderful for increased energy and stamina, as well as mental clarity. Black Cumin contains 21% protein, and is an excellent source of EFAs (essential fatty acids), necessary for cell maintenance, the stabilization of cell membranes, and the metabolization of cholesterol and fat in the blood. The EFAs’ linoleic acid and gamma linolenic acid are used by the body to produce prostaglandins, vital hormone-like substances that regulate many body processes. Nutritional information from the book Black Cumin, the Magical Egyptian Herb for Allergies, Asthma and Immune Disorders, by Peter Schleicher, MD and Mohamed Saleh, MD.
- Rose Hip Seed Oil (rosa rubiginosa): The dried form (rose hip fiber) contains Vitamin C, with about 1700 to 2000 milligrams per 100 grams in the dried product. In contrast, an orange contains 50 milligrams of vitamin C per 100 grams and a kiwifruit 90 milligrams per 100 grams. Rosehip seed oil contains retinol (vitamin A). It is also high in the essential fatty acids, linoleic acid (omega-6) and linolenic acid (omega-3), as well as the antioxidant lycopene and beta-carotene. Wisdom of the Earth offers two types of the oil – “regular” Rosa rubiginosa, and Rose Hip Lycotop, which is made from only the red seeds (which contain greater amounts of lycopene). We also have the Rose Hip fiber (mentioned above) which is great to put in smoothies, and some people make a tea of it.
- Cucumber Seed Oil: Rich in Vitamin C and B1, cucumber seed oil is a powerful antioxidant that can prevent the onset of premature aging caused by free radicals. Cucumber seed oil is also high in Omega 6 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory. I love to use this to calm and soothe my skin after using a mild exfoliant (our Rose Hip Seed exfoliant). When chilled, it is very cooling and soothing to sunburns, along with Lavender essential oil.
Essential Oils for Stress
My point is, simply using the essences will bring you to your authentic self. Minimizing stress greatly aides this process. There are some individual essences that are excellent at reducing stress:
- Violet (fear, vulnerability)
- Blue Chamomile
- Blue Yarrow
- Lavenders (particularly Highland and Albanian)
- Wild Chamomile (anxiety, worry)
- Scotch Pine (overwhelm)
- Red Spruce (confusion, consumed by “what ifs”)
- White Spruce.
As my dear friend Uqualla, a Havasupai wisdom keeper says, “Let Heart Lead,” which, to me, is another way of saying “follow your dreams”.
Eat fresh, whole foods; minimize the toxins in your environment; (laundry products, cleaning products, yard care) and secure pure drinking water and use these essential oils. The Plant Kingdom has provided these wonderful essences that support the detoxification and the healing processes, all the while bringing you to a much healthier, calmer place in your life, living as your authentic self.
Don’t miss the part 2 of this blog post. Read more here.